Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Masculinity in Hip-Hop

The genre of hip hop reinforces stereotypes of masculinity in today’s society by mostly their attitudes because men think they are tough and powerful and think they can treat or do whatever they would like because they have those qualities. If you listen to rappers music they talk about how they get women and what they call women. Men are portrayed in doing those tough and powerful things and in music videos you see all this. Them shooting people and having all the ladies etc... If men are not tough and powerful then they will be referred to as a “pussy” and men don’t want to be called that so they try being tough and independent. Singers like 50 cent talk about women in their songs like they are trash "Man this hoe you can have her, “when I'm done I ain't gon keep her Man, bitches come and go, every nigga pimpin know" Now these songs and lyrics from songs reinforces stereotypes of masculinity. There are so many other songs out there that have these kinds of lyrics.

I disagree with Russell Simmons comment about “Society is the issue, not the music” because I think music is where people learn this kind of stuff from like how to treat a women, how to talk and how to dress etc... We should be blaming the music not the society. I don’t think you would see a whole bunch of people doing things from music videos but it is possible there may be a few people who maybe do such things but not many.

I don’t think there can be change in this media because people have grown to this kind of music and how people act. Changing it would make a big difference. I don’t think people would accept the change and making rappers change the way they do things will probably mess them up because they have been doing this rapping for probably a long time and they mostly sing about their lives, about how they had nothing and how they have everything now. If it were to change, I think it would affect the music industry. People would just stop listening to music and people do enjoy the rappers music even though it has negative things in it. Afterwards in class, we talked about this situation and I think of this issue in another way and that is how Chamillionaire is going to stop using swear words in his songs and same as for other artist. I think it can be possible to change it but it will take a long time for this to happen and for rappers to stop using foul words in their songs. They just can’t stop like that, because when you get use to saying something, you say it often. But, there is probably some hope for them stopping but I think it will take a long time.

Work Cited

Sood, Suemedha . "All Stories." Beyond Beats and Rhymes: Masculinity in Hip Hop. 1 March 2005. 15 Jan 2008 http://www.wiretapmag.org/stories/21386.


50 Cent Billboards Rile South Central Community. 26 October . 15 Jan 2008 http://musicfilter.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!1E13828BC4057369!957.entry.

Chamillionaire - The Sound Of Revenge (2005). 2008. 15 Jan 2008 http://gersonespada.blogspot.com/2008/01/chamillionaire-sound-of-revenge-2005.html.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahahaha, oooh simi you make me laugh. Before I even comment on the blog, I'd just like to say, “when I'm done I ain't gon keep her Man, bitches come and go, every nigga pimpin know," is probably the funniest quote I have ever heard. So glad you put it in here.

As far as your blog goes, definatly on the fence, just because I do agree with Russell Simmons comment about “Society is the issue, not the music." I dont think music is the reason why men objectify women and want to have big muscles. If fact, I think the statement is a little old fashion. Look a the history of music, every genre, especially new age, is ALWAYS the cause of bad behaviour. Hip Hop music may have fueled the fire, but never lit it.

Michelle said...

I’m going to have to disagree with you on this one Brittany. I personally don't think that society is at fault here. You can’t pinpoint this discussion on society in general. Russell Simons seems to think “society” is at fault, but how much of society is at fault? All of it or part of it? When you look at the way rappers and hip hop artists act in their videos, you don’t see that everyday. I don’t think society is like that at all, and yes maybe some people do have that mentality, but not enough to classify it as society in general.

Cassidy.. said...

I definitely have to agree with michelle, as I do not believe it is societys fault as a whole.
I think that more rappers and record companies need to take a stance, and make a change.
What ever happen to the good ol' days of happy upbeat music? Like S Club singing about keeping your head up, reaching for the stars, etc etc. Where is all the inspirational lyrics in music?
WHERE IS TUPAC?!
I am definitely a huge Tupac fan, and i definitely wish he was still around to sing about girls in a respectful way. Instead of just some "shawtys on the block".